Time outs For GMILLER Game: g1053431953

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
phishhead

Time outs For GMILLER Game: g1053431953

Post by phishhead » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:17 pm

I have asked this question before about a time out. The person i am playing has now -201 days to make a move in game-Game: g1053431953
before you told me when they went over a certian time, the system made it negative. I have been watching this game for a long-long time now. Last i check on March 17th he only had -180 days, and time was slowly going towards zero. but now he has over 200????
How does that work?

jpettit

Post by jpettit » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:31 pm

I brought up your opponent, vegardramstad's, game list, and it says that he still has 73 days left to go. But when I click on the game ID, it says zero time left. Strange.

But I must say, you are incredibly patient! You have been waiting for almost an entire year! I salute you!

Greg has mentioned in the past that the time on the game list screen is based on your own computer's clock, and that the time actually listed on the game screen is the 'official' Net-Chess time. Since you noticed a vast disagreement, you should check to see if your own clock on the bottom right side of the screen is accurate. With DST coming up, perhaps the computer switched the date around?

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:10 pm

That's basically correct. The server sends the amount of time the user had remaining when they made their last move, as well as the time the last move was made. You computer subtracts the current time from the time the last move was made, then subtracts that from the user's time remaining. Probably more info that you needed.... But when that data is sent to your browser, if the numbers are really big, then they don't fit in the fields allocated for them and you end up with numbers that are off.

Since I doubt this guy is coming back, I reduced the amount of time he has remaining, and also bumped up the last move date so that everything will show up normally when you view the game.
Greg Miller

phishhead

Thank you

Post by phishhead » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:19 am

That makes some sence. I have a apple comp, so everytime the laptop runs out of battie it resets the clock to 5 o'clock some day in march in 1969, but thankfully i have never had a game show me that i had over 30 years of time. i try to reset it when it happens, but it id kind of intresting to see what time would show up if that happened. thanks agien.