draws

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
islanderfan

draws

Post by islanderfan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:54 am

Greg can you tell me why a higher ranked player will have points deducted when there is a draw?Take a look at my last game with this fool (bcaley). I was under the under the impression that the more material you have the advantage would be on your side so why did I loose so many? Just curious. :?:

redketchuplover

Post by redketchuplover » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:05 am

I'm not Greg but I play him on tv. A draw is a draw is a draw. Material doesn't matter.

primalinstinct

Post by primalinstinct » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:37 pm

Material only matters in the calculation of an advantage. As redketchuplover put it, "A draw is a draw"!

Π

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:57 pm

I know that; what I am saying is as far as the point system here. Why should I lose some if any to a draw? I feel material should account if we are going to loose points in draw cases. I had this guy/ girl or both with the upper hand and he/she/it "forced" the draw. I would say my other point is if you can't win, JUST RESIGN.

primalinstinct

Post by primalinstinct » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:19 pm

The loss of points in rating is probably due to the fact that you drew to a lesser rated opponent, and in the eyes of the ratings you should have had the win. Something to that nature - lol!

Π

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:26 pm

When you play a player rated lower than you, you're expected to score 1 point with some probability between 50-100%. If you don't score 1 point, your rating goes down. The Wikipedia page for the Elo rating system has lots more information.
Greg Miller

slowblunder

A draw is a draw

Post by slowblunder » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 am

It is 0.5 points each, that means less than the "expected" 0.8 points (example!) due to your rating difference on your end and more than the 0.2 "expected" points on your opponent´s end. Just simple as that!

It is of no interest whether anyone
- feels "forced" to this draw,
- blundered away a big advantage,
- was too bored by his opponent who didn´t resign,
- had to leave the game because of any real-life trouble,
- decided to accept the draw because of time-trouble on the clock,
- thinks he is the far better player,
- accepts the draw to make a team-match a safe win,
- accepts a draw in order to end a competition and qualify for the next round,

Like in all other competition events, it´s the final result that counts - not the history of the match/race/something. A soccer match is counted with a 0:0, even if team A only has a 20% ball-posession and no goal-chance and team B has a lot of clear chances and the referee appears to be blind in several situations. It´s called a "lucky draw" for team A, it´s a problem if team B should be proud to have shown the better performance or should be angry with the ref and its fate (bad luck). But it´s one point for both of the teams' scores - end of announcement.

primalinstinct

Post by primalinstinct » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:38 am

Well put!

Π

mic

forced draw!!!

Post by mic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Hockey guy, if that person forced a draw in a lost position they are doing quite well. I did the same thing in one of my games and the only reason I didn't resign earlier was that I saw a chance at a force stalemate...quite unusual and very happy to get the chance to do it. It was something to see...every bit of the imagination was used to accomplish this....so don't belittle a draw sometimes they are the best fights and sometimes not.
:idea: :lol: :D
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic