Totally irrelevant question

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
cliff

Totally irrelevant question

Post by cliff » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:54 pm

Hey Greg.

Just wondering what this stand for at the bottom of the page:

Powered by phpBB 2.0.6 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

No reason. Just curious...

dcroll

Post by dcroll » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:29 pm

"phpBB is a popular Internet forum package written in the PHP scripting language. The name "phpBB" is an abbreviation of PHP Bulletin Board. Available under the GNU General Public License, phpBB is free software."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

cliff

Thanks!

Post by cliff » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:50 pm

Thanks, buddy. I actually figured it was something along those lines, but I fear my knowledge of modern program language is a bit ....lacking, for want of a better word.

Heck, in my youth, I remember programming a Timex-Sinclair 1000 in Basic!

:oops:

dcroll

Post by dcroll » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:49 am

What you say?

My father is an informatics teacher, and will soon be retired. I'm 27 and I have a MSc in epidemiology. For my data analysis, I learnt how to program in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_%28progr ... anguage%29.

It all began by tearing apart err.... studying the little programming examples my father had on his computer. They were in Pascal. On a Apple LC III. These were times where each of us children could have 1 MB of disk space!

In school year 7 or 8, I borrowed something on Pascal programming in the school library. Geez, the book was old - with metal spiral binding.

During high school, I visited a course on JavaScript and Java programming, and just after high school I borrowed a book on Perl (a scripting language, mostly used on web servers). In a day, I programmed a simple chatroom - one program constantly read the last # lines from a file, and another program wrote your text to the same file.

Well, I forgot the little chess "engine" I wrote in JavaScript. It basically was an opening book - it told me, which move resulted with what percentage into a win for White. It could be fed with the PGN files you can download from The Week In Chess.

Hm, then I took a Java course at the university, but did not finish it because my MSc thesis took much time away... :?

Well, perhaps you care to read the answer I wrote in the computer assistance thread... :P I wrote that just before.

Cheers, David

neilb

Re: Totally irrelevant question

Post by neilb » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:07 am

cliff wrote:Just wondering what this stand for at the bottom of the page: