MY PET PEEVE

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
langelli

MY PET PEEVE

Post by langelli » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:27 pm

There's a 4 player challenge listed by a particular player right now. This player has played 1,968 games, and has forfeited 1,914 of them. It appears as though this player only plays out games he, or she, has the edge in. My suggestion? Before joining a match check out the players profile to be sure you are playing people with good sportsman like conduct. Perhaps if we all do this these players will get the hint and start playing fairly. Better still, maybe they'll go away. Then again, maybe not!

iamachessstudent

Re: MY PET PEEVE

Post by iamachessstudent » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Good adviceI try and do that, tho once in a while, I feel bad for not letting ppl play because of the time outs...maybe they had a power outage, a blown Pc but Id have to agree, try and exclude them I suppose!!

Joshsua

ecperreault
General Forum Grandmaster

Post by ecperreault » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:27 pm

I believe you just sent a kind warning out to everyone about what to expect (or not expect) if they accept this player's challenge.
Very nicely done... polite but to the point.

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55 pm

I generally feel that the time is there for folks to use how they wish. I don't get irked over how they choose to use it & would even overlook the occasional time out as things can occur outside of the game that take precedence. I do strongly agree though that making a habit of timing out in lost positions is very bad form & shows a notable lack of courtesy & sportsmanship. I do tend to check profiles of folks I don't know & a large number of timeouts generally means I won't play against them. There's plenty of folks here that actually WANT to play;win or lose. I don't care to waste my time with those who don't.

On another note. I have to admit I get mad sometimes. I'll make a really stupid error & stare in horror at the board asking "How could I have done that?". Or I'll just get flat outplayed to the point where the remainder of the game is just going to be a joyless,painful butt-whipping. In cases like these the fun can be entirely sucked out of the game for you & you can often find yourself wishing you'd never even started playing it in the 1st place. I can understand the desire to just totally forget about the game,but the only classy,mature way to do so is to resign. Don't just walk off like a pouty child mumbling "I don' wanna play no more...". Resign, & then walk away knowing you've done the right thing. Then put the game behind you & move on. That's just my opinion on the subject at least...unless you're playing Islanderfan...then all dirty dealing is allowed & even encouraged! :D

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 pm

:lol:

langelli

Post by langelli » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:09 pm

I do agree with cmulligan that the time is there for a player to use as they see fit, but there's a limit to what is acceptable. The player that got me going has timed out of 1,914 out of 1,968 games played. If he had timed out of 200, or even 300 games I wouldn't have started ranting and raving. 1,914 out of 1,968 is around 90% timeouts, That's unaccepable, and poor sportsmanship. Anyway, lets get back to playing chess.

cmulligan

Post by cmulligan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:26 pm

langelli wrote: Anyway, lets get back to playing chess.
I'll leave that to those who are good at it. I'll just stick to randomly pushing pieces & making fun of Islanderfan ( who;oddly enough,also seems to stick to randomly pushing pieces)... :P :lol: :lol:

It's good to get stuff off your chest sometimes,so the occasional deserved rant is ok.

ecperreault

Post by ecperreault » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:01 am

One simply cannot bring up 'rants', 'peeves', etc, etc. etc without mentioning islanderfan - why is that?
BUT, since you did...
NO. NO. I shall restrain myself from beating on fence posts. I shall refrain from the oral obliteration of such a nice guy as islanderfan (regadless what cmulligan says about Brian),
I happen to think Brian is a fine upstanding fellow!
Always a gentleman at the board!
I only wish he would stop talking trash about me WHILE WE ARE PLAYING ... so rude, you know.
Another thing that drives me nuts about islanderfan is that - well... have you ever noticed that he doesn't was his hands before playing chess or when he returns to the board after 'excusing' himself during a game. Just plain bad manners you know.
... and another thing ...

islanderfan

Post by islanderfan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:40 pm

any advantage I can get over you NERDS is glory.