4th removed from Carlsen.

Pretty much anything.
blackdogs

4th removed from Carlsen.

Post by blackdogs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Total Trivia...I played FM Greg Canfell (loss) who has played GM A Miles (draw) who's played GM G Kasparov who's played GM M Carlsen. Canfell is my highest rated OTB opponent so far.
I'm sure there are members here who can beat this :?

energy

Re: 4th removed from Carlsen.

Post by energy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:17 pm

blackdogs wrote:Total Trivia...I played FM Greg Canfell (loss) who has played GM A Miles (draw) who's played GM G Kasparov who's played GM M Carlsen. Canfell is my highest rated OTB opponent so far.
I'm sure there are members here who can beat this :?
I played on 4th board when he played on 6th board for the same team, in the 17th European Club Cup on Crete in 2001 He was just over 2000 in ELO at the time, but it wasn't hard to see that would not last. I played really badly in that tournament, and at one point Magnus came over to the board where I sat and analyzed the game with my opponent. Magnus immediately started suggesting moves, by moving the pieces in a high tempo. I asked him to slow down and explain why these moves were better. He couldn't do it! To him it was so obvious, and he didn't have (or need) feeble words to "explain" why the moves were superior. Quite humbling...

At that tournament he was almost 11 years old. A curiosity is that I have downloaded the Play Magnus app, and I am so far unable to beat the 11 year old simulation of Magnus. I do beat the 10 year old. I think they got it quite right. :oops:
Nils

--
Consider donating some computer time to science!
Read more here: http://folding.stanford.edu

gkristiansen

Post by gkristiansen » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:56 am

Well you should be pretty good to beat Magnus when he was 11.But you Nils was number 4 or 5 top player at that time Nils?I have not play Magnus very mutch but so fare i have only beat at 7 1/2 year old.Going first for 8 and hope i can beat him as 9.

blackdogs

Post by blackdogs » Thu May 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Best so far is beating PlayMagnus app at 9. Having to deliver checkmate is a bother though. Does 10 or 11 year old Magnus ever resign when in a hopeless position?