Ladder/Pyramid troubles...

For discussion regarding the chess ladder
cmarcolino

Ladder/Pyramid troubles...

Post by cmarcolino » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Is it the ending of ladder/pyramid challenges?

As main page is offline for several weeks I`m afraid of it...

Any news?

jsnyder

Post by jsnyder » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I believe mluka is moving or about to move and may not be online for a bit. His last comment was that he was having issues and thought he had temporarily fixed it, but it seems its still not working.

He mentioned he has a beta version of ladder 2.0 that is pretty buggy and might be willing to put it up and try it if we'll give him good feedback so he can fix the bugs.

wait and see (o:

mluka

Post by mluka » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 am

That is correct, jsnyder.

The ladder/pyramid - and even the long-dormant team competition - will return one day. I am concerned that the hosting facility I moved to a few months ago - when all the problems started - may not be able to support the 2.0 version. We'll see how it goes. I'll give it a little test run once I'm settled in a little better.

Regarding the Service Unavailable issue, here's an overview of what is happening:

There is a recurring error condition which I haven't been able to pinpoint. When this error occurs, all the diagnostic processes I had built into the site are engaged. The diagnostic processes are failing at this new hosting facility, which essentially leads to an infinite loop of error handling, which in turn flips a switch at the hosting facility. When that switch is flipped, the site is automatically taken offline.

Then, I contact the hosting facility to have the site brought back online, and often in the course of testing (since, as I noted before, I've been unable to reproduce the error), I wind up tripping the switch again.

The folks at the hosting facility are getting fed up with me!

So, long story short, 1.0 has a design flaw, 2.0 is very buggy, and the solution ultimately may require a move to a new hosting facility.