Including a chessboard in your post.

Post any puzzles you have or post your analysis of any games played on Net-Chess or anywhere else. Posts which do not contain game puzzles or analysis will be removed, such posts belong in the general forum. Commentary and discussion on openings is also welcome here.
gmiller
Site Admin

Including a chessboard in your post.

Post by gmiller » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:12 pm

I've set up a JavaScript page to make it easy to include a chessboard in your post. Go to http://www.net-chess.com/chessboard.html, then rearrage the peices into the order you want. Then click "Generate Image HTML". Highlight the text that appears in the text box, right click on it and select "copy". Then come back to the forum and start to post your message as normal. Inside the text area, right click and select "Paste". Be sure to preview your message before posting to make sure it's what you wanted.

Optionally, you can provide a link to a board which will pop up in a new window. This board will allow the user to move pieces around, as well as generate the HTML for included a board in a reply. Use the "Gernate Link HTML" for this method. You can also include both the HTML version and the Link version in the same message. The link version looks like this: View Board

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. I'll add a few more features to the HTML generator in the future, but it'll do for now.

When you're done the board will look something like this:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The small board appears as follows:
Last edited by gmiller on Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

keithstuart
Uranium

Post by keithstuart » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:01 pm

excellent

now once i have bought my house and have the time i can set weekly problems for every one to solve from one of my books

vjahagirdar

board size

Post by vjahagirdar » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:59 am

I came across the boards today. On my machine the big boards display fine but the small boards require straining my eyes to makeout the position. Could a feature be added where clicking on a small board will replace it with the larger version.
regards
vjahagirdar

ghorn

boards

Post by ghorn » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:27 am

The boards are great. The only problem I have is the color contrast. The white rooks seem to fade into the board, bishops also just not as bad. The board is the problem IMO.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:30 pm

I've modified it so that by default it will always have a link back to view the board on the board viewer page. The images will appear better there, and it's always a big board.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:31 pm

I've updated the images so that they're a higher contrast. Most of them show up fairly well now.

muabdib

No "generate link html"-button

Post by muabdib » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:54 pm

Hello greg,
when going to that site you indicated to post a chess-puzzle with the chessboard I can't find any "generate link html"-button. Only the "generate link BBCode" - button. Does it work as well? HTML is off I'm told and BBCode is on.

muabdib

Post by muabdib » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:56 pm

sorry, I didn't mean "generate link html" but "generate image html" which I can't find.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:20 pm

I've changed the wording around since I wrote the instructions. What you want to use is "Generate Large Image BBCode".