change the "Show these games in separate windows"

For suggestions for new features to add to the site. Even if you don't have a sugestion at least vote on the features important to you.
dcroll

change the "Show these games in separate windows"

Post by dcroll » Sat May 20, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi,

when I'm at home using my Mac to play on slowchess, the "Show those games in separate windows" button just works perfectly: The windows that open upon clicking the button are big enough that the whole chessboard is displayed.

But when I'm using the computers at the university (Win XP), the windows are often too small so I have to click again to enlarge them to full screen width/height - only then I can play hassle-free.

Is it possible that you, Greg, can you change the javascript command "OpenAllGames()" so that the window would be as large as the whole screen? So all other windows/applications are buried, but this way one can play the move and then click the window away - instead of correcting the window size first.

Have a good time you all,

David/dcroll

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun May 21, 2006 10:19 am

I'm guissing you're using Internet Explorer as your web browser, and have your browser open full screen. Pretty much every other browser will open the windows maximized (full screen) if the original window is maximized. But IE will open the window the size of the "restored" (or non maximized) window even if the original window was maximized.

That may be a tough explanation to follow, but to work around it:
1. Click the button in Internet Explorer's title bar which is just to the left of the red "X" which would close IE altogether. It will look like two squares stacked on top of eachother, and if you hover your mouse over it, it will say "Restore down".
2. Resize this window to the size you want all of the new windows to open.
3. Click the "Show these games in separate windows button". And all of the windows will open with that new size.

Of course the other solution is to use a different browser (namely Firefox), but that's not always an option on school computers.
Greg Miller

dcroll

Post by dcroll » Mon May 22, 2006 3:36 am

Thank you, I'll try that out!

At home, I use Safari (as it is the slimmest and fastest browser I know), and it opens the new windows just with the correct size... but regarding slowchess, but Explorer and Firefox work less good on my Mac.

It was the Explorer version we use in the University that made me ask the question.

At some times I wanted to give up playing here - "Owww, so much games to play..." - and with using "Show these games in separate windows" I can get my daily dose of chess. I don't lose my head anymore, and I can keep track of the number of moves I play - perhaps 5 times 10 moves. Perhaps a psychologist could explain this... :?

It's just a funny fact that made me enjoy slowchess.com a lot more!

Sincere regards again,

David/dcroll